Tuesday, April 24, 2012

~Winding down~

In a few months I’ll be COSing (meaning I will be on a plane back to the USA). As my time winds down, finishing up teaching, and closing friendships made while here, I’ve reflected a lot. I’m going to miss certain things of my two year (epic) adventure:


- The life of another culture and what is important to them.

- Going to a person’s house and them insisting on me meeting their entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents). They are happy that I came to visit.

- Riding on a moto (with helmet) on dirt roads in the bush (it’s scary, but exhilarating!)

- Being appreciated by students and community members who acknowledge the sacrifice we make to come from what we know to embrace theirs

- The down-time to read a multitude of books!

- Wearing outlandish, mismatching clothes, (Pagne)

- Having a good laugh with someone we perceive as different (skin color, religion, culture, beliefs). No, we are the same; body, soul, desires, emotions, we’re human.

- And last, but not least- of all the ill-feelings from time to time, lessons learned, difficult situations, reality that hurts…

... it has not killed me, however, only made me stronger. And for that, I’m grateful. Hasta luego todos.





1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I came across your blog while researching peace corps journals in Cameroon and wasn't sure how best to contact you other than to leave a comment on here. I have recently accepted an invitation to serve in Cameroon and will be leaving next month. I was hoping to talk to someone who has already been in my shoes and get any advice that you might have. If you get this message and have the time to respond could you please email me at the address below.

    shaundwillis(at)gmail(dot)com

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete